Aroma candles contain essential oils. Essential oils such as lavender have therapeutic uses and may help relieve stress. However, there needs to be more research into the specific benefits of using essential oils in candles.
What are the benefits of aromatherapy candles?
Essential oils have been used for hundreds of years, both topically and internally. Their benefits range from aiding with skin issues, digestive upset, pain management, PMS, blood sugar fluctuations, and so much more. However, the power of essential oils goes beyond that to include boosting your mood, de-stressing, improving focus, inducing sleep, and emotionally connecting through simply inhaling their powerful aroma.
Each essential oil comes with its own unique set of benefits when inhaled, and combining these can create personalized scents that will help you transition into your desired mind state. For example:
- Lavender, Chamomile, Palmarosa, and Ho Wood help with SLEEP
- Neroli, Mandarin, and Chamomile help to DE-STRESS
- Grapefruit, Lemon Myrtle, and Spearmint induce HAPPINESS
- Orange, Clove, Rose, and Jasmine promote emotional connectivity and LOVE
- Oud, Sandalwood, and Frankincense help you ESCAPE
- Clary sage: A small study, Trusted Source in females going through menopause found that Clary sage reduced cortisol levels. Cortisol is one of the hormones involved in the body’s stress response.
- Bergamot: Another small female study showed that bergamot reduced negative emotions, fatigue, and salivary cortisol levels.
- Ylang-ylang: A 2014 pilot study found that people who inhaled ylang-ylang for 30, 60, and 90 days reported higher self-esteem than those using a placebo.
Three aromatherapy candles for stress relief
This section looks at some options for aromatherapy candles. All of these products:
- contain essential oils
- use only plant-based waxes
- have not undergone testing in animals
So that you know, the statements below are research-based. No one at Medical News Today, including the writer, has tried these products.
How to use aromatherapy candles?
Stop- Light an aromatherapy candle that best suits the mind state you wish to achieve to fill your room with mindful meaning purposefully.
Inhale- As your aromatherapy candle burns, take a deep breath, close your eyes, and visualize the mind state you wish to achieve.
Reset- As you exhale deeply, release any negativity and step into the next moment of your daily journey, feeling more relaxed, focused, and positive.
What are the best aromatherapy candles?
The best aromatherapy candles are those which are 100% natural. Using all-natural ingredients will ensure when you light your aromatherapy candle, you will be getting a clean burn and filling your home with all-natural scents and aromas. When looking for an aromatherapy candle, look for one free from parabens, PEGS, SLS, glycols, phenoxyethanol, silicones, synthetic ingredients, synthetic fragrances, or synthetic colors. Instead, seek an aromatherapy candle that uses 100% natural essential oils and ingredients such as soybean and grapeseed oils as the candle wax base.
While looking for an aromatherapy candle that is 100% natural, it is also essential to ensure that the ingredients are sustainably sourced and the packaging does not cause damage to the environment we so heavily rely on and love. The last thing you want to do is to contribute to depleted resources in the name of aromatherapy! Scentered Aromatherapy Candles are a prime example of an aromatherapy candle that is 100% natural, sustainably sourced, and uses all eco-conscious packaging. Once you have finished your aromatherapy candle and enjoyed every last drop, why not reuse your candle holder for something creative, such as a makeup brush holder or a plant pot? If you want more inspiration, read about how to reuse your aromatherapy candle here.